The customer is always right. It’s an age-old adage web designers everywhere should keep front of mind. You might create a masterpiece of a website, but if it doesn’t resonate with your intended audience, your efforts won’t pay off.
The solution is user testing. In this article, we’ll explore user testing, its value, and how you can use it to optimize your web design for engagement and conversions.
User testing gives you access to value-add human insights from real people who have interacted with your website (or app, copy, imagery, or any other content or digital product). The goal is to determine whether or not a design is successful. For example, user testing can help you answer the following questions:
- Does your audience relate to the content?
- Are they inspired to take action?
- Are your designs and text compelling?
- Are users confused?
Traditionally, user testing takes place in a lab where researchers observe participants. Unfortunately, this approach is time- and resource-intensive, and many web designers, developers, and marketers are unable or unwilling to make the investment. However, EasyUserTest removes those barriers to entry, giving everyone access to genuine insights in 12 to 48 hours.
Wait. Why do I need user testing when I have access to web analytics? It’s a valid question. Let’s compare the data and insights from both sources:
- Analytics reveal key metrics, such as the number of visitors, time spent on your page, and website conversion rate. While this information is useful, it fails to answer one critical question: why? Why are people exiting the home page in under 10 seconds? Why is my conversion rate below the industry benchmark?
- User testing gives you insight into the motivations behind web visitors’ behaviors. In other words, it answers all-important why questions. Perhaps your headline is misleading or confusing, so users don’t find it compelling enough to stay on your page. Or maybe your call to action is difficult to find, sabotaging your conversion rate.
User experience is integral to a website’s success. One in four web browsers judges a business’s credibility by their website, and it takes just 0.05 seconds to form a design opinion. And when it comes to converting, a staggering 70 percent of small businesses miss their calls to action, a figure that can put an organization’s future at risk.
User testing for web design helps developers overcome these challenges in several ways. First, it flags points of friction in a design. For example, you can find out if users struggle with your navigation or checkout, determine whether your site’s interface is intuitive or confusing, and learn whether your website looks trustworthy or dodgy.
Second, user testing can help you iron out the kinks in your web design. You can make changes based on feedback and re-test your site.
Finally, user testing can help you perfect your design and messaging. Test a headline – does it inspire conversion or page exits? Test a call to action. Test a hero image.
Design is in the details, and the more feedback you get from real users, the more empowered you become to create a website that looks incredible, speaks to your target audience, delivers a five-star experience, and converts.
Are you ready to discover what real users think of your web design? Get started with EasyUserTest today. Create your web design test in a couple of minutes with our standardized questions and get your results in less than 48 hours.
Your website is the center of your digital eco-system, like a brick and mortar location, the experience matters once a customer enters, just as much as the perception they have of you before they walk through the door.Fabio Duo Founder @EasyUserTest